All who volunteer with youth must obtain a variety of clearances to be an Approved Adult. Please complete each and submit a copy of the clearance to the church office. You are welcome to keep a copy for your own records as well. Details are below for each application. If you have any questions, please contact Katy (email@example.com or 717-334-2012 x 201) or Adam (firstname.lastname@example.org of x 203). Or if you noticed a discrepancy in the directions because of an update to the website (directions posted 3/2022).
There are 3-4 clearance items that need to be completed every 5 years.
- Approved Adult Application Packet: Required for all approved adult volunteers. This records a variety of information; instructions for the following 3 clearances are also enclosed in the Approved Adult Application Packet.
- Pennsylvania Criminal History Record: Required for all approved adult volunteers.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Certification: Required for all approved adult volunteers.
- FBI Fingerprints: Only required for individuals who have not lived in Pennsylvania for the last 10 continuous years.
- Click New Record Check button (Volunteers only).
- Check the box after reading the acknowledgement statements and click the Accept button.
- Enter your information.
- For the Volunteer Organization Name, enter St James Lutheran Church (do not put a period after St; it cannot accept punctuation).
- For the Volunteer Organization Phone Number, enter 717-334-2012.
- Confirm your information and click the Proceed button.
- Print the certificate that is generated. It will have a PA Keystone logo as a watermark. Turn the certificate into the church office.
To facilitate retrieval of the clearance results, before you complete the application, contact the
Youth Minister or Church Administrator and request a “payment code.” While the church is not
charged for clearances for volunteers, if you opt for a payment code, it will automatically assign
your clearance results to the church’s account, therefore facilitating access to the results of your
clearance. If you prefer to submit the results on your own to the church office, you are welcome
to do so, simply indicate that you haven’t received a payment code from the church during the
- Click “Create Individual Account.” Create a user profile, and then use the temporary password that they email to you. The “Keystone ID” is a user name that you create. Write down your user name/Keystone ID and password, as you will need it to retrieve your clearance.
- Sign-in and click through the agreement notices.
- On the screen that says “My PA Child Abuse History Clearances,” click “Create Clearance Application” button.
- For the Application Purpose, select “Volunteer” (first option).
- Under Category, select “Other.”
- Under Agency Name, enter St. James Lutheran Church.
- Fill out all of the information; you will need to provide:
- your current contact information
- former names or alias
- all addresses where you have previously resided
- all of the people you currently and previously have lived with, as well as their relation to you. (If they were a roommate, list them as “other.”)
- For the Application Payment, select
- Yes if you obtained a payment code from office staff
- No if you prefer to submit your clearance results on your own
- If you are prompted to make payment save your application and go back and check the Volunteer button.
Upon completion, if you selected to have the certificate sent via email, please forward it to
email@example.com. If you opted to mail it to your home, please provide a copy to the
It takes a number of days for the results of the Child Abuse History Certificate to be completed. If you do not receive it within a week, please log-in to your account and check the status of your clearance.
Any applicant who has not lived in Pennsylvania for the last 10 continuous years, must also
obtain their digital fingerprints and Federal Criminal History Background Check in order to
become an Approved Adult. Once the applicant has lived in Pennsylvania for 10 continuous
years, this record no longer needs to be maintained and instead will be replaced by Disclosure
Statement Application for Volunteers (Appendix C of the Approved Adult Application Packet).
There is a fee for FBI fingerprints that is collected at time of service.
- Make an appointment online (https://uenroll.identogo.com/)
- Use digital fingerprint screening code: 1KG6ZJ (DHS Volunteer code)
- Select the digital fingerprint screening location and make an appointment.
- Applicant will receive a mailed copy of clearance results.
- Submit clearance results to the church office.